Orientation year permit

As of 1 March 2016, the policy for highly educated persons has been changed.

The orientation year for highly educated persons and the orientation year for graduates are now combined into one single scheme: 'The orientation year for highly educated persons’. The scheme applies to all graduated students in the Netherlands and students who have graduated from a top university abroad.

You apply for the orientation year permit yourself at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), either before the expiration date of your student residence permit if you wish to continue your stay in the Netherlands immediately after graduating, or within three years after graduating if wish to travel abroad first. After you have read the information below, please go to 'How to apply for the orientation year' for more information about the process.

  • This permit is valid for a maximum of 12 months.
  • The fee for the orientation year application is €622.
  • With this permit you have unlimited access to the Dutch job market. A work permit is not needed.
  • During your orientation year you cannot apply for benefits from the Dutch state such as welfare or unemployment benefits.

There are no regulations governing how you can try to find a job in the Netherlands during your orientation year. For instance, you are entitled to go on holiday for half a year and find employment after that time. The orientation year cannot be extended, meaning that if you do not find employment in the Netherlands during this year, you will have to leave the Netherlands or acquire another type of residence permit.

última modificação 2016-04-06 19:24