Visas and permits

Short stay visa

Depending on your nationality, you might need an entry visa to travel into the country. For stays of up to 90 days, this entry visa is called a ‘short stay visa’ or ‘Schengen visa’. These terms may be used interchangeably.


Residence permit

You need to have a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country or Switzerland and you would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than three months.


Registering with the council

If you are staying for more than four months in the Netherlands you will need to go to the city council and register as a new resident of the town where you are living.


last modified Feb 01, 2013 01:56 PM