Short stay visa

Depending on your nationality, you might need an entry visa to travel into the country. For stays of up to 90 days, this entry visa is called a ‘short stay visa’ or ‘Schengen visa’. These terms may be used interchangeably.

Check our student visa wizard to find out if you need a Schengen visa.


The Schengen visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in theSchengen area. Sometimes the visa is limited to a single country (for example Holland only) or a few countries (for example Holland, Belgium and France). In that case, the Schengen visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country or these particular countries.

Your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

Multiple entry and single entry

With a ‘multiple entry’ short stay visa you are allowed to travel in and out of theSchengen area during the validity of your visa. With a ‘single entry’ short stay visa you are allowed to travel within the Schengen area, but once you have left the Schengen area you cannot return without a new Schengen visa.

More information

Check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for application details.

Embaixada da Holanda no Brasil 

Registering with the aliens police

Officially you also need to register with the aliens police within three days of arriving in the country. Ask your host institution how this is arranged in your city.

last modified Aug 19, 2013 03:09 PM